The McGiffert Log Loader

For 0n30 version of the McGiffert, click here

For some unknown reason, I just like making the unusual pieces of machinery that seem to be about in the logging area. I chose to make the McGiffert log loader because I liked the look of it.
A friend of mine sent me some drawings of this beast, along with its history, After reading about it I became fascinated with it, and needed to have a go at Scratchbuilding it These are the drawings I had sent.


So here, for those who may want to tackle one of these, is how I made mine.

Making the templates

The first job was to make templates of the front and rear iron work, so after determining the height and length of it by comparison to other HO stock I set about on the computer to make the first stage of the McGiffert log loader. Drawing 1 shows the computer templates of all pieces needed.


The next step was to transfer the printout onto plasticard. (I used 1/16th plasticard for the main frame) As I needed approx eight cut-outs for each end, I had no alternative but to have a lot of patience cutting this damn card with a craft knife. A few were spoilt, and a few choice words were indeed spread around, but I got there in the end.

Making the end pieces of it was quite straight forward once all the pieces had been cut out, luckily, they all went together properly. Once these were made, I had to make the side pieces to make a sort of oblong box shape. As each part was made, I painted and weathered it.


Photo 3 shows the completed lower part with the wheels in the raised position.

Photo 4 shows the underneath and the wheels in the down position.

 

The next stage was to make the sides and roof, to fit on top of the base. Again I used the computer to draw out the side pieces, then plasticard to make it up. The roof was plastic corrugation.

Photo 5 show the sides and roof. 


The next task was to make the two jibs, both were made from hard wood from a template again drawn up on the computer first.

Photo 6 shows the jibs



When all pieces were made, I turned my attention to the inside of the McGiffert. I already had a spare donkey engine, so I used that. Wrapping thread around each of the drums and leading the thread up and over the small jib already glued in place. People were now added, and various other items such as barrels and a chain hung over the side. It was a simple job now of assembling all the parts together, and here is the finished product.



Back